[BITList] Fw: GE to supply propulsion systems for 23 new LNG ships

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 11 09:08:00 BST 2012

God almighty!

I read:

"NEW York-listed General Electric (GE) on Wednesday received a series of orders for its electric propulsion systems. They will be fitted in 23 liquefied natural gas (LNG) tanker newbuildings. The orders, from South Korean companies Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering and Hyundai Heavy Industries, will see GE providing a total of 1,105 megawatts of power to the vessels, according to the firm. The scope of GE's contracts includes MV7000 converters, induction motors, transformers, generators, main and cargo switchboards and propulsion control systems. "These orders clearly demonstrate that GE's expertise in electric propulsion for LNG applications is recognised worldwide by the major players in the sector," said Paul English, marine vertical leader for GE's power conversion business."

NY listed?  And this is relevant to anything engineering?  How will GE "provide" 1,105 MW of "power" to the vessels?  Via a very long and flexible cable system?  However, bloody but unbowed, we carry on.
"Traditionally, the propulsion of LNG tankers has been based on boil-off boilers and steam turbines. In recent years, more and more shipowners have turned to dual-fuel engine systems combined with electric propulsion as more efficient solutions, up to 30 percent at high loads. These solutions also increase cargo capacity by 3 to 5 percent as they enable the ship designer to optimize the equipment layout."

Like you, Colin, I haven't a scooby about boil-off boilers.  I've worked on Scotch boilers, Cochran boilers, water-tube boilers, a super-critical boiler, and an electrode boiler.  Also, I don't know what a dual-fuel engine system means.  During my BI and Clan Line experience we started and stopped the Doxfords on diesel and ran them on heavy oil, but the only time they ran on a mixture was during the brief change over process. I vote to hang the next bastard who talks about "solutions".  All we read nowadays is adverts by prats offering "solutions" - gardening solutions, logistics solutions, kitchen solutions, etc, etc, etc, etc.  Regardless of all that, can anyone understand exactly what thing, process or other is up to 30% at high loads in recent years?  Finally .... every machinery and equipment layout I ever did was optimised, and that was without a GE system.

But we shouldn't expect too much from igoramuses who still think like this.

Induction motors for the marine industry were developed 15 years ago by GE's Power Conversion business for the U.S., English and French navies.

Hugh.

PS.  I take it these motors drive themselves.