[BITList] A unique Navy ship has Naples in awe

franka franka at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 7 02:00:19 BST 2012

Colin
Looks like [Australian] Austals are alive and well in the US. Believe
they have a yard just up the road from you in Mobile, The ship is based
on one of their High speed ferry designs, we had one leased out to the
marines up in Okinawa and they were over the moon with its capability's.
We had to open a plant in the US to get around the usual rules and regs
that prevail  in the US shipping industry. The craft certainly move out
but being made of aluminium don't offer much in the way of protection
frank