[BITList] Fw: Emailing: Bar.pps

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 21 16:12:58 BST 2012

Colin,,

"Brit Bar", "Irish Pub", Brigadoon (as in the film), etc, they are all figments of the fevered imagination.  There's an "Irish Pub" I pass in Glasgow on the way to the bus home - it's called Molly Malone's.  Bejabers, and begorrah, etc, I say, and walk on past. There's an "Irish" pub here in Port Glasgow, one of the four pubs left in the town. There were 71 at one time.  This pub is called Donnachie's, and it's patronised exclusively by Glasgow Celtic supporters of Irish origin.  That's the only thing Irish about it.

In my Union days I was at one or two meetings in London, and we always repaired to a bar somewhere near Clapham Common that had good food and music and was under surveillance by Special Branch for its Irish Republican links (for want of a better word). It was full of Irish accents, and there was nary a shamrock to be seen.