[BITList] THE KILT

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 4 16:03:36 BST 2011

Sunday afternoon,

Malcolm,

Though I haven't worn the kilt since my Boy Scout days, I belong to the "only idiots were nothing under the kilt" society.  Yesterday Janet and I travelled to Glasgow to meet son Andrew in the Central Station for a coffee.  We had hardly stepped off the bus at the end of Bothwell Street when I got the impression they were filming Braveheart again.  Each pub was crammed with men in Scotland shirts, the kilt, and boots, and as many again were outside clutching pints.  Realisation dawned - Scotland via the Czech Republic at Hampden.  We managed to get a seat somewhere amid the (good-natured) noise, but the complete Runrig songbook played at full volume on the pub tannoy caused even Andrew to wilt, so we set off to look at curtains at the far end of Argyle Street.  Having looked at curtains, we felt like another coffee, but there was nothing doing.  Bouncers were admitting two if two came out, etc. One bekilted gent told me "this is the third effing pub I haven't been able to get into." I felt improperly dressed, but at least I had remembered to put on underpants.  How many of them were bare arsed?  I forebore to ask.