[BITList] SS Gairsoppa and the sunken silver treasure about to besalvaged | Mail Online

Michael Feltham ismay at mjfeltham.plus.com
Mon Oct 3 07:03:06 BST 2011

Hugh,

At present I am reading "The Real Cruel Sea" by Richard Woodman, a paperback published by John Murray, on page 249, it says that Ayres reported machine gun fire from the U-boat 101 but doesn't actually say where the fire was directed at.

The book comments on the fact that despite tremendous loss of life from MN personnel due to sinkings by the U-boats, the RN initially put aside this fact as it was only the MN !  They did come round eventually as they realised that the supply of men to man the ships was not  infinite.  The Americans when they came into the war were the same.  They wouldn't adopt the convoy system and wouldn't impose a blackout on the E. coast of the States.

It's an excellent book, I hope to buy another of the author's books when I return home, "Arctic Convoys"

Mike