[BITList] SS Gairsoppa and the sunken silver treasure about to besalvaged | Mail Online

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 2 08:48:39 BST 2011

Mike,

This was Clan Line, Cunard, Elder Dempster, Pacific Steam, BI, Brocklebank,
Jebsens, Donaldson ????  Only in a letter Tom Kelso wrote to the Herald the
other day is the shipping company (BI) identified - none of the other
accounts
say, being too busy slavering over the silver and amazing us with the
technicalities. I take it a ship with that amount of treasure aboard is not
a war grave.

A point. One comment I read claimed 2O Richard Ayres had never mentioned
machine gunning in his reports, and that this had been added on later by
someone else.  Such incidents were pursued - a U Boat Captain and some of
his crew were hanged after WW2 for it.