[BITList] Amazing Grace - The Coliseum

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Wed Nov 9 10:23:59 GMT 2011

G'day Hugh,

On 09/11/2011, at 7:14 PM, HUGH wrote:

> I liked all of it. The use of the pipes with instruments not usually heard along with them may have started with one of the regimental bands.  I'm sure I've a Christmas CD somewhere on my shelves that has the pipe band of the Royal Whatsernames, until part way through the piece they are joined by the brass, woodwind, etc, to stunning effect.  Amazing Grace by the same band (later) changed the order, ie, pipes came in second, and now it's become established that way.  The real punch in the El Vito version is the key change for the penultimate section.

I don't know if I have written this before.

In the early 1970's I was working up in the NW of West Australia at an Iron Ore processing plant.

When the plant was in operation the industrial noise was horrendous.

One evening shift when the plant was shut down for an industrial dispute, which did not include my union, I wandered into the control room where all was quiet.

In our workshop which was next to the control room I had am audio cassette player. On it was Amazing Grace by the Scots Dragoons or whatever.

I went and got it and said to the control room operators, "Listen to this". I turned on the tape player and the sound of the pipes was all over the plant, at industrial strength.

The echoes coming back from all over the plant made it something extraordinary!

A special memory.