[BITList] Amazing Grace - The Coliseum

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 9 09:14:26 GMT 2011

John,

I liked all of it. The use of the pipes with instruments not usually heard along with them may have started with one of the regimental bands.  I'm sure I've a Christmas CD somewhere on my shelves that has the pipe band of the Royal Whatsernames, until part way through the piece they are joined by the brass, woodwind, etc, to stunning effect.  Amazing Grace by the same band (later) changed the order, ie, pipes came in second, and now it's become established that way.  The real punch in the El Vito version is the key change for the penultimate section.

Hugh.

PS Still mentally in Malta.