[BITList] Fwd: Safety First !

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Fri May 13 07:11:10 BST 2011

G'day Hugh,

> Following complaints to the Chief from those who could read, I was told by him that I should desist,
> it all being under control. This was French for "none of your business".

Some years ago now I was working in the iron ore industry up in the NW of West Australia.

I was called out late one night to restart a large dryer machine that was fed with 'bunker oil'. It stopped.

After purging the system I managed to get it going and went back to the night shift office.

Shortly after I got here I was called out again. I repeated my actions.

This happened a few more times.

On the last time the Shift Forman was there - complaining about the amount of production that they had lost during that shift due to this dryer going off line - he stayed with me until I had got the machine going again and then asked me if I could bridge out all the safety devices. I replied, "Yes no worries." But as he turned to go I asked him if he was going back the Control Room. When he answered , "Yes", I asked him not to forget to log his request in the Shift Report Book. He answered, "Oh, don't bother bridging out the safety devices, we'll give it another go eh?

I agreed.

Bastard. he wasn't worried about my hide, only his.