[BITList] Honesty

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun May 8 08:31:09 BST 2011

Colin,

The late and much missed Dr Weir once said to me, "I could prescribe something for it, but these things are no bloody good. Better to go home and take a hot bath."  Another time, "If I could cure the cold, I wouldn't be sitting here." Once he suggested I go and live north of the Arctic Circle - he recommended Norway. Our nasal passages, he explained, are better suited to that kind of climate.  However, he declined to arrange the journey.  Dr Laurie, who later became his successor as head of the practice, sent me to have my shoulder X-rayed.  When I returned for the verdict, he gazed at the films then gave it to me straight. "What you've got," he said, "is what we in the medical profession call a sore shoulder."  Dr Laurie died a couple of years ago. We played curling with him a few times - he had the oddest way of delivering a stone I'd ever seen.