[BITList] Linguist List Issue: New Concordance from ComputationalLinguistics Lab

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun May 1 10:39:35 BST 2011

John,

My immediate reaction was to shout WTF?? .... but it's Sunday.

I know what linguistics is, and it's only a short step from that to computational linguistics, but what do these mean?  And why must they write in code?

1. "a concordance that differs from existing analogues"

Most big family Bibles have concordances at the front - my great grannie's (up in the loft) has one such - but I cannot comment on how its concordance stands vis a vis existing analogues, given I've never come across an existing analogue, or even a non-existing analogue.

2. "It has an integrated part-of-speech tagger thus allowing the user to create his/her own annotated corpora"

Would an annotated corpora be anything like an article/concordance with footnotes?  Also, why write "thus", when a simple comma would do better?

One thing I do applaud about it is its avoidance of the word "paradigm".