[BITList] libya - here we come....

COLIN TAYLOR x50type at cox.net
Thu Mar 31 01:07:29 BST 2011

could this be the start of another mogadishu?

President Obama Authorizes Covert Help for Libyan Rebels

Head of House Intel Committee Says Arming Unknown Rebels May Be a Mistake

78 comments
By JAKE TAPPER, JON KARL and RUSSELL GOLDMAN
March 30, 2011
PrintRSS
Font Size:

Share:
EmailTwitterFacebook
More
President Obama has a signed a secret presidential finding authorizing covert operations to aid the effort in Libya where rebels are in full retreat despite air support from U.S. and allied forces, a source tells ABC News

The presidential finding discusses a number of ways to help the opposition to Moammar Gadhafi, authorizing some assistance now and setting up a legal framework for more robust activities in the future.

The finding does not direct covert operatives to provide arms to the rebels immediately, although it does prepare for such a contingency and other contingencies should the president decide to go down that road in the future.

The White House press office issued a statement saying it does not comment on intelligence matters.

"I will reiterate what the President said yesterday – no decision has been made about providing arms to the opposition or to any group in Libya. We're not ruling it out or ruling it in," the statement said. "We're assessing and reviewing options for all types of assistance that we could provide to the Libyan people."

The revelation of the finding comes as Washington is debating whether to arm the rag tag army trying to oust Libya's long time strongman Moammar Gadhafi.

COLIN TAYLOR
x50type at cox.net