[BITList] xmas

COLIN TAYLOR s14engine at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 26 16:03:38 GMT 2011

hey – lucky you, hugh –xmas in york.
here’s a rather dickensian photo I took of stonegate at christmas time. ye olde starre inne was not one of my favourite pubs, but one of my favourite pubs is in stonegate. farther away from the minster end you might like the ‘punch bowl’.
if you have transport 3 places of interest outside york a few miles are:-
1    the very impressive Castle Howard [of bbc’s ‘brideshead revisited’ fame c/o evelyn waugh.] about 15 miles out and just off the road to scarborough – lovely country round there.
2    real ww2 italian prisoner of war camp about 10 miles farther away - near malton. there is a real spitfire on a stand there. from the look of the place the pow’s didn’t do too badly there. some were wonderful craftsmen fashioning fine artifacts out of nothing much. in one section of the camp it seems to be inferred that there was fraternization/interaction between the pow’s and the land army girls!
3    the yorkshire air museum and allied air forces memorial at elvington- its about 6 miles east from york, just off the road to hull. it is an authentic operational ww2 bomber command station, initially raf but french squadron moved in in1944.
in march 1945, the luftwaffe followed the returning bomber stream back to their bases. a junkers ju88 was able to attack elvington where the landing lights were on awaiting the french squadron’s return. this aircraft came to grief in a low level attack 2 km from the airfield, crashing into a tree and then into the farm house situated on the b1228. a small memorial to the 4 german airmen and 2 civilians who died, stands outside the house. there are many aircraft on display both inside and out also barnes wallace’s bouncing bomb. there is also a naafi canteen/restaurant/bar.

pub crawl via boat sounds interesting and your surreal experience with a drunken soldier was ‘memorable’. from his critique it appear there are only 70 pubs worthy of consideration...................................

colin