[BITList] york

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 26 09:11:56 GMT 2011

Colin,

We intend to be in York for a few days around Christmas - there was a time when  we were there so often, we used to give directions from anywhere to lost English tourists with their map upside down and desperate to find The Shambles.  But it's a while since we were last there.  We used to describe York to people as pleasant walks between coffees and Danish pastries.  They used to run a pub crawl up the Ouse by boat, but those with me would never step aboard.  Bob, the chap who ran the boarding house out the Bootham Gate, married a lady who had similar down south, and our visits petered off.  It was on that street we had the surreal experience with the drunken soldier.  He tagged onto us and told us tales of derring do and such.  York, he said, had 140 pubs, and half of them were rubbish. I tried to get some opinion from him about the ones we frequented, but all I was doing was interrupting his flow.

An architect cousin of my grandfather, Dr William Singleton (on the posh end of our family), was associated with York University. I recall seeing a plaque at one point.