[BITList] york

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Sat Mar 26 04:51:33 GMT 2011

frank
hey – that’s really interesting; my #1 son was born in portsmouth. I was attending a long course at HMS Sultan at the time and renting a very nice house in a very nice part of lee-on-solent. I can view the house easily via google earth [isn’t that thing truly fascinating.?]
moving to hull certainly was going from the frying pan into the fire – much of the place was flattened during the war. my dads sister lived there – I remember going as a lad and being quite taken by the silent trolley buses which I had never seen before!
now I see how you got to view the sights of york via hull.
in those days you could climb up to the top of the minster – I have a number of photos I took from up there. did you make it to the top? the main tower is now closed to visitors.
I used to be a train spotter too – maybe we were in york station at the same time – sunday afternoon was favourite. I used to know the times when the expresses came thro the station also from the train number one could tell where there home base was. in fact I had a friend whose dad was the manager of the loco sheds near the station. we would go in there at the week end when it was quiet – the place was ancient with all the machine tools driven by belts from and very long overhead shaft system driven by one very big electric motor using fast and loose pulleys to start and stop the lathe, drilling, machine, saw, etc. Not only was it ancient but it was black with grime and soot from the locos, it hadn’t been cleaned for perhaps 100 years!
there were 2 engine turntables in the sheds where the locos were turned and moved into the 8 or so repair docks.
many, many years later when I went to york on vacation I saw the national railway museum had been moved to york. to my absolute surprise I discovered that the filthy ancient loco sheds had been completely overhauled and were now a pristine national railway museum complete with the 2 original turntables [all the machinery and drive shafting, etc. had been dismantled and removed.]
how it went from black sooty grime to clean white I don’t have much idea. the only way I could see to do it was vacuum cleaners then weeks of sand blasting – would have cost millions.
here’s a photo of york minster for your scrap book – all photos of the minster are taken looking at the front or side from street level – this is the best vantage point in all york and you’ll never guess where the photo was taken from.
Behind a rack of ladies dresses on the top floor of marks and spencers in parliament street, york – this is the view from the window....................................the striped canvas tops of market stalls can be seen bottom right.

some american friends of mine were visiting UK some time ago, they asked my where they should visit. of course I recommended my home town – York.  The first thing they said to me when they returned here after they visited York and the UK was, “what the hell are you doing here?........................................................nuff said.
incidentally,some time ago the local york newspaper produced a special  edition showing the bombing of the center of york and the station during WW2- I had no idea how badly the station was damaged, it was almost destroyed.
a bomb landed in the back garden of the house across the street from us, luckily it didn’t explode. I recall the army bomb disposal squad went digging [by hand] for weeks on end to find and dispose of it. they gave up in the end – so the bomb remains there still.
colin t

PS   this wasn’t done on my apple!