[BITList] Fwd: Martiniere

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sun Mar 13 06:37:41 GMT 2011

G'day folks,

There may be some Kipling readers amongst you.

Please read the PDF file attached.

ooroo

Begin forwarded message:

From: Naren Menon <rksausnews at yahoo.com.au>
Date: 13 March 2011 11:00:19 AM AEST
To: wantok at me.com, wantok at me.com
Cc: Des Harris <bos1co at optusnet.com.au>
Subject: Martiniere

Hi John,

Saw your post on the List....and thank you for the vote of confidence !
I've been a lurker on the List for a long while now, and always look forward to your pithy comments. Even stealing the "bad typists" line a while ago for my own correspondence !

I was in La M C 52 to 60. And if I'm not mistaken, Des left in 57.

And, yes, I do know about the Kim connection; in fact, I bring it into play whenever I can....always stressing that I went to the ELDER sister School !

As I said to Des, I've just recently been given the job, and it's a challenging one. As you can imagine, my strength is Kipling's Indian connections. But I have to be real careful that I don't give that undue emphasis in the publication. ( I am the only non-Caucasian in the group ) So, I try and fill at least 1 page out of 12 in every issue with an Australian flavour. Which is not difficult, as there is plenty of material available on the Web.
But what I would really like is to increase my correspondent base, which means that I will have stuff that the UK Society ( which produces a 64 page Journal every quarter ) is unlikely to have. I'm not competing with them, ( just like we never competed with LKO, right ?) but I am looking forward to the day when they ask permission to use one of our articles !
The Society is based in Sydney. We have less than 30 paying members, and about 25 of them meet once a quarter to listen to a speaker ( on a Kipling related subject). I have recently introduced a segment where the group discusses a Kipling poem/story, as well.
Most of the group are retirees like me.
My biggest concern is that we are not attracting a younger group. I have to do something different, to try and attract not just the grandparents, but the parents, of University students.

Anyway, enough about the job ahead of me.
Wish me luck, and I would love for you to write me many appropriate letters on Kiplingania that I can publish.

Rgds

Naren Menon
Martin House ( of course ! )