[BITList] no flight sim - no chromebook

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Fri Jun 17 16:53:30 BST 2011

    is this just another toy – google doesn’t think so!

    so where’s flight sim, video editing, photoshop, etc?

    don’t have an internet connection – forget it,

    and at $350 to $500 – way too expensive.

    is the next internet problem, cloud hacking?

    ct

    But web-based machines like Chromebooks will take off only on two conditions, Bajarin said. “So much of what we do today depends on software, and much of that software hasn’t migrated to the cloud yet,” he maintains.

    In other words, until Photoshop, video editing and other popular specialized applications are made available, fewer people will reach for Chromebooks than Google would like. But it’ll get there, Bajarin added. “Not tomorrow, not next year — but it’s coming.”

    Second, the $350-500 price tag of the first few Chromebooks isn’t exactly what consumers were hoping for. “It’s gonna be tough for people to digest those prices,” Bajarin told FoxNews.com, “but they will come down quickly.”

    However consumers ultimately respond to Chromebooks, at least Google is eating its own dog food. In May, co-founder Sergey Brin said he hopes to have the majority of all 26,000 employees on Chrome OS -- whether Chromebooks or the still unreleased Chromebox desktops.

    “I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with Windows,” the billionaire said at the time. “But I think the complexity of managing your computer is a flawed model fundamentally."

    "Chromebooks are a new model that doesn’t put the burden of managing the computer on yourself," he said.

    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/06/17/google-chromebook-forecast-cloudy-with-chance-sunshine/#ixzz1PY4oMqyt