[BITList] Fancy a hover-bike - no

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 12 12:00:25 BST 2011

Colin,

The US use of "regular" for "ordinary" (or medium) may stem from their use of "regulation" for "par" in sport.  Like many Americanisms, it could have come from the military, though I know not how. Or as an invented opposite of "irregular". We have "Regular Army", but I don't see that as being the cause.  Its use in the UK arises partly from dim-witted 30-somethings in advertising and the media, and partly from equally dim-witted young people who know nowt about owt.

Another that irritates me is "train station" for "railway station" - we invented the bloody things, so we should know.