[BITList] Are children becoming 'digitally illiterate'?

x50type at cox.net x50type at cox.net
Sun Jul 17 01:13:11 BST 2011

oh, no. kids are not writing basic programs now and they having lessons in how to use a computer......................................eh?
sheesh – what next? block capitals all round?
I am really dumb, I don’t even know what, ‘digitally illiterate’ means, although I can do that grown-up writing stuff where the letters are joined together..........................
ct

>From primary school to university, the skill of writing even basic programs has been largely displaced by lessons in how to use a computer.

"[Children] learn about Word and Powerpoint and Excel. They learn how to use the applications but don't have the skills to make them," says Ian Livingstone, life president of Eidos and government skills champion.