[BITList] Odd people

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 31 09:38:30 GMT 2011

Reading through yesterday's Independent (I got a taste for it after picking up a free copy while travelling recently), I noted some nutters, aka politicians, in Arizona, USA, are seeking to push through legislation that would require two kinds of birth certificate in that state. They object to the present situation whereby a child born in the USA is automatically a citizen of the USA - they want a two-tier system that takes account of the parents', shall we say, ethnicity. They love ethnicity.  Not that they are racist - we don't care if the parents come from Scotland, one says, if they are illegal immigrants.  Maybe he didn't say illegal (one gets confused), but one gets an idea of where they are coming from.

I gather from the article that US birth cerificates say the child is American - is this the case?  I know US documents used to record such as "race", "white" being a race in that context.  I've had a look at my own certificate and it says bugger all in that line.  I see : name ; where and when born and at what time ; sex ; name, rank and profession of father ; name of mother, with maiden name ; where and when parents married ; signature of informant ; where and when registered. I could be a Chinaman for all it cares - am I deprived?