[BITList] Isambard Kingdom Brunel did not design Clifton SuspensionBridge, says historian - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 16 12:10:16 GMT 2011

Mike,

Actually, no individual ever designed anything bigger than a bicycle - and there's a potentially controversial statement.  The late John Brown, Chief Naval Architect in John Browns (no relation), Clydebank, got sick of being cited as the designer of Q Mary and Q Elizabeth, and others.  He would have none of it, and he wasn't being modest.  He supervised the design process carried out by his lesser known staff and, no doubt, contributed his own bits as an when he saw fit.  His counterparts in Cunard would have done their bit before he ever became involved, and, like him, they would have drawn heavily on previous ships and practice and current rules.  However, at one time, until I pointed out how ridiculous it was, I was well on the way to becoming what John Brown objected to being thought of, sole designer on the machinery side of an RN Auxiliary, RMS Newton.  Every bloody compartment, and the innovative stuff within, was on my desk, but when I counted my hands I could only see two.  So another couple were taken off something else and my work load was reduced.  I still got the hard bits.

The relationship between Brunel and Scott Russell has been known to me for years.