[BITList] Git Ooot

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 18 10:02:45 GMT 2011

John,

Though it gets in the way of a good story, the chap HAD a ticket, but he'd offered the wrong one to the ticket inspector.  Confronted by the same hectoring attitude, I'd have been pretty pissed off also, as I was one day a couple of years ago on a train.  Janet and I got to Port Glasgow Station and found the ticket office closed - the staff were somewhere cleaning, so said the notice propped up at the window.  Another notice, a big official one, asked people in our situation to buy tickets on the train - the station was effectively unmanned.  On the train, I was confronted by the same gent, or his pal,  This arsehole declined to offer us a concession ticket on the grounds that the ticket office had been open (he knew that for a fact, being omniscient), hence we were buying our tickets on the train, hence concession tickets were not to be had, even for cash money.  Cue raised voices and threats.  A useless dickhead in the next seat, who had stood beside us reading the no staff notice, didn't want a concession ticket, but recalled that the office had been open - he volunteered this, unasked.  So much for eye-witness accounts.  I took the ticket man's details and paid what he asked for, Janet by then was upset. At Glasgow he got off his mark like a bullet from a gun - first off the train and away like a bullet through the crowds.  I couldn't catch him. I wrote a strong letter of complaint and got my money back, an apology, and an admission that the man had exceeded his remit.  What is missing from the "hero evicts trouble-maker" story, is the bit where the hero refused either to let the fellow back onto the train for his belongings or have them brought to the door.  The ticket collector throughout was useless.