[BITList] Past Present: Similarity with India today?

franka franka at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 25 13:02:56 BST 2011

John
Seems nothing has changed over the century's
come back Guy Fawkes all is forgiven.
frank

    These words are from the speech Cromwell delivered when he kicked
    the then
    Members of the British Parliament out of the 'Rump Parliament'- on20
    April
    1653!

    "It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place,
    which
    you have dishonoured by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your
    practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good
    government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau
    sell
    your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God
    for a few
    pieces of money."Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is
    there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion than my
    horse;
    gold is your God; which of you have not barter'd your conscience for
    bribes?
    Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the
    Commonwealth?Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defil'd this sacred
    place,
    and turn'd the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral
    principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the
    whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances
    redress'd, are yourselves become the greatest grievance."Your country
    therefore calls upon me to cleanse this Augean stable, by putting a
    final
    period to your iniquitous proceedings in this House; and which by God's
    help, and the strength he has given me, I am now come to do; I
    command ye
    therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out
    of this
    place; go, get you out!"Make haste! Ye venal slaves be gone! So!
    Take away
    that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the name of
    God, go!"

    Sir Winston Churchill ? 64 years ago reason for not giving
    Indipendence to
    India.

      "Power will go to the hands of rascals, rogues, freebooters; all
    Indian
    leaders will be of low calibre & men of straw. They will have sweet
    tongues
    & silly hearts. They will fight amongst themselves for power & India
    will be
    lost in political squabbles. A day would come when even air & water
    would be
    taxed in India ?

    Close enough, isn?t it?