[BITList] Past Present: Similarity with India today?

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Thu Aug 25 11:32:46 BST 2011

These words are from the speech Cromwell delivered when he kicked the then
Members of the British Parliament out of the 'Rump Parliament'- on20 April
1653!

"It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which
you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your
practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good
government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell
your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few
pieces of money."Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is
there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion than my horse;
gold is your God; which of you have not barter'd your conscience for bribes?
Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the
Commonwealth?Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defil'd this sacred place,
and turn'd the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral
principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the
whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances
redress'd, are yourselves become the greatest grievance."Your country
therefore calls upon me to cleanse this Augean stable, by putting a final
period to your iniquitous proceedings in this House; and which by God's
help, and the strength he has given me, I am now come to do; I command ye
therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this
place; go, get you out!"Make haste! Ye venal slaves be gone! So! Take away
that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the name of God, go!"

Sir Winston Churchill – 64 years ago reason for not giving Indipendence to
India.

 "Power will go to the hands of rascals, rogues, freebooters; all Indian
leaders will be of low calibre & men of straw. They will have sweet tongues
& silly hearts. They will fight amongst themselves for power & India will be
lost in political squabbles. A day would come when even air & water would be
taxed in India ”

Close enough, isn’t it?