[BITList] where's my cloud?

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 14 08:36:10 BST 2011

Frank,

A couple of years ago I tried a local computer repair/sales shop for a 5.25
drive. The question I put to them was, roughly, "Have you got an old 5.25
drive around the place that works, and is compatible with a not too ancient
PC?"   The answer I was expecting was "Sorry, no,"  or "Actually we've got
that very thing." The spotty-faced youth across the counter drew in his
breath and mustered up all his 1.3 years of experience. In tones that
implied he was talking to some aged idiot, he told me these things were no
longer made, that they were obsolete, didn't I know?  "I know all that,"
said I, "but it's not what I asked you."  He pouted, then shouted to the
back shop, had they "any o' they floppy drives?"  Back came the answer,
"No."  Further conversation not being needed, I left him with his mouth
open.  I've got a serviceable 5.25 drive, but its data socket only connects
the 286 PC I took it out of before dismantling and scrapping that machine.
Maybe I should look for an old 286 - I've still got the HD from the PC.