[BITList] Green thing

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 4 09:40:01 BST 2011

Frank,

All true in my experience, apart from:

<< "Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana."

My granny had a radio, a big Phillips. Someone up our close had a radio, for I could hear it when I was in bed. What's a TV?

<< "We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water."

My great aunt had a shop, so sometimes I could get a bottle of "lemonade". A relation over from the US a few years back asked in a shop here for a bottle of lemonade. "What kind do you want", she was asked. "What kinds have you got?" she asked.  "We've got orange, cola, Irn Bru, lemonade, cream soda, .... ." Often we drank from the burn, but there were plenty of springs with a cast iron drinking cup on a chain nearby.

<< "We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull."

I saw my first fountain pen in 1945, when my dad came home from India. It was a Watermans. Our children called them "ink biros".  In school we used a "dip in" pen with ink that left a sludge in the bottom of the inkwell.  At home we used pencils.  We were too young to shave.

<< "We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint."

Our school had electricity. We had gas mantles and candles.  As my wife often tells me, she had not only electricity, but a bath.  Our nearest pizza joint would have been in Italy, I guess.