[BITList] Poles

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 2 08:11:38 BST 2011

Frank,

You asked if UK apprenticeships have gone the way of those in Oz.  I know
nothing about the Oz situation - over here, unless I'm very much mistaken,
the old system is dead and buried.  Now we have "modern apprenticeships".  A
dozen or so people pose  for a photo wearing yellow jackets and hard hats
(no doubt also heavy gloves, earplugs and boots with steel toecaps). Ages
range from late teens to the 30s. These are billed as a new intakeof
apprentices.  They serve 3 years, much of which can be taken up with off the
job study.  I recall reading that the system I was trained under is
outmoded.  Had I only known, I'd have spent more time at evening classes and
less at work.

What is the effect of all this?  BAE Systems in Glasgow have just "launched"
a bit of an aircraft carrier onto a barge for transport to Rosyth.  I'd say
it's around a 5th of an aircraft carrier. They seem to have been designing
and building it for years.  Too many Dayglo jackets and photo opportunities
and not enough hard arsed engineers.