[BITList] HMS Astute on Skye

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 26 13:54:02 BST 2010

Article header from today's (Tuesday's) Herald - "Repair bill will run into millions as nuclear submarine returns to base".

Jings, I said, must have have been some shingle she ran onto and sat on, and some very quick estimating has been done, so I read on.  Sez who? I asked. Some "independent nuclear engineer who advises governments" is who.  The cost of repairs, he is quoted as saying (having, one assumes, done a comprehensive internal and external survey in the few hours since she ran aground), could be £1m to £2m, right up to more than £100m.  I'll repeat the last bit for those who skipped it - right up to £100m.  Depending on whether there was damage to the hull, which would worry the MOD, he added.

It's nice to know we can still rely on the experts for a laugh.