[BITList] We stood up to bully-boy Trump

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sat Oct 16 14:18:25 BST 2010

Begin forwarded message:

From: Johnny Chatterton - 38 Degrees <action at 38degrees.org.uk>
Date: 16 October 2010 6:01:21 PM AEST
To: John Feltham <wulguru.wantok at gmail.com>
Subject: We stood up to bully-boy Trump

Dear John,

Last week, over 6,500 of us told Robert Gordon University we thought it was a scandal for Donald Trump to be getting an honorary degree. [1] We wanted to to make it really difficult for Trump to claim he had the support of everyone in Scotland while he still wants to evict local people. And we did!

On the day of the ceremony the pressure was obviously getting to Trump. He tried to brush off the media attention over our petition. But it didn't work. We made enough noise to get the local and national press talking. The Scotsman said that there was "a storm of protest" and the BBC talked about how Trump tried and failed to shrug off our petition. [2]

Together with Tripping Up Trump and local resident, Susan Monro, we handed in the petition last week. Susan is still facing eviction at the hands of Trump. She said "We are still living in constant fear of being thrown out from our homes because of Mr Trump's arrogant demands and for this reason we think it is completely inappropriate to give this man an honorary degree."

38 Degrees has been campaigning with the families facing eviction for over a year now. Taking a stand together against Trump's honorary degree is only one part of this campaign.

Trump still wants the Aberdeenshire council to give him special powers to force people out of their homes. So far nearly 15,000 of us have signed a petition to the council. The more people who sign the petition, the pressure on the council to stop Trump's eviction plans.

Please sign our big petition telling Aberdeenshire council to stand up to Trump, here: http://www.38degrees.org.uk/donaldtrump

Thanks for being involved,

Johnny, David, Hannah, Charlotte and the 38 Degrees team

Notes:

[1] Here are some of the things you said about Trump getting an honorary degree:
"I am shocked that a university would even consider him for an hororary anything! And especially a university in Aberdeen, where many people are adversely affected by his cavalier plans." Barbara
"I cannot believe that RG University are going to honour this man. It is appalling. What on earth makes them think that he has anything positive to contribute when all he thinks about is lining his own pockets?  I am so angry that our institutions continue to honour people simply because they are rich!" Sue
"In view of Mr Trump's bully boy tactics concerning his proposed Scottish golf course this award is most inappropriate." Christopher
[2] BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-11484542 ; The Scotsman: http://news.scotsman.com/aberdeen/Donald-Trump-flies-in-to.6569229.jp ; STV: http://news.stv.tv/scotland/north/201334-trump-touches-down-to-receive-degree/

The bigger we are the more we can do. Please forward this email to your friends and ask them to get involved.

38 Degrees brings you together with over 175,000 people to take action on the issues that matter to you and bring about real change. To find out more visit our website, Facebook or Twitter.

Donate: 38 Degrees doesn't accept money from government, big business, or political parties. We rely on donations from individuals to help pay for the technology, the research, the equipment and the small office we need to organise campaigns. Support our work by donating here

Unsubscribe: If you no longer wish to be part of our movement and receive our emails you can unsubscribe here
This email was sent to wulguru.wantok at gmail.com.

38 DEGREES 2009 Registered Company No. 6642193