[BITList] [BITList ]E U

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 27 21:35:51 GMT 2010

Colin,

Discussion of the EU here (ie, within the sphere of my hearing and perception) - its benefits, problems, pifalls, you name it - is limited to what politicians and the politically minded write in and to the newspapers I read.  Until now I have not participated in a discussion about it - it and its ramifications exist in a far and distant land where things happen regardless of what I think. Every so often I am offered a vote in who represents me at the EU, and I exercise that vote. The closest the EU has come to me is that our son is serious with a young lady whose parents work for the EU in Brussels.  All of the foregoing (bar the latter bit) is, no doubt, a sign of indolence or lack of interest in the political process. However, I do have views, regardless of whether or not my lack of involvement qualifies me to have them.  All political parties, and other groups, which campaign actively against the EU and any UK involvement in it, pursue agendas in other areas that I utterly detest. The further to the right these people are, the more strident their anti-EU rhetoric.  So, in a way, it's any enemy of them is a friend of mine.  But I do feel comfortable with the idea of being European - it does not dismay me one whit.  I fully accept that the EU bureaucracy has grown into a monster, but that is for the politicians to rectify, and I don't really get all het up about politicians since, whether I do, or don't, all I get is a vote sometimes if I remember to register.  I never delude myself that I am part of a movement that makes a difference.  Like you, I admire Ron's grasp of French politics and attitudes to being in the EU - I am unable to give a comparable essay on the UK or even Scottish equivalent.  When my granddaughter was gearing up for university, with me elected as political essay editor and co-researcher, I might have been able to, but that was then and this is now - all the books have been put away.

On another note - the drillships were late 70s.  In my comments I did wonder if the corporate culture thing in the article was a recent development, hence not applicable to what I wrote about.  I do recall that BP, a little later (mid 80s), struck me as excessively safety conscious  where offshore engineering was concerned - certainly those I encountered were so minded, and I worked closely with fairly senior people. I can hardly think they were defying a corporate culture in being so.  But times change, and these people were not American.