[BITList] Stupid Letter of the Week

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 24 20:06:12 GMT 2010

Mike,

Shortly after we got married in 1961, Janet was due some grant or other (she
wasn't pregnant), and we filled in the forms and sent them off.  Back came a
correctly addressed letter to her saying they could not process her claim
until she sent them her address.  I looked at this through binoculars, then
standing on my head, then wearing polaroid glasses, but nothing emerged
other than that we were talking to utter morons. Clearly, writing to them
was out, so I hied me down to the Navy Buildings on Eldon Street on a
Saturday morning, and found the place kind of open. I explained the problem
to the chap at the desk.  "You're in luck," he said, "normally I don't work
here. Your trouble is, you've been talking to idiots."  I thought that just
as good as utter morons. The matter was fixed on the spot.