[BITList] From John Hopkins Hospital-Cancer Update

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 22 14:08:23 GMT 2010

Being an an engineer, and all else having failed, I consulted my microwave instruction book.  It gives the following advice.

China, ceramics, fine glassware - OK if no metallic decoration, but may break if overheated.
Plastic/polystyrene - may melt/distort/burn under heat.
Freezer bags (plastic, I assume) - OK if suitable for microwaving and if pierced.
Paper plates, cups, etc - Only for warming, may catch fire.
Newspaper - Not safe, may contain extracts of metal = arcing = fire.
Straw/wood - May lead to fire, so closely supervise.  Who would microwave straw?
Cling film - Pierce, and keep it off the food.  It doesn't say why, though I guess it might become part of the food.

I believe dioxins exist in some plastics, and I recall a recent newspaper article on perceived problems with some soft drinks bottles.

Hugh.

PS : The book also says round dishes are better than square - food in the corners gets overcooked.