[BITList] drilling

CT's x50type at cox.net
Sat May 15 19:12:30 BST 2010

hugh
In regards to gas intrained in drilling mud while drilling or completing a well, I believe it is sent to a mud-vacumn degasser where it is vented a safe distance from the rig to the atmosphere, not burned.
We are talking about small quantities (500 parts per million) and nothing remotely economically viable.
The gas being vented and ignited in a production platform scenario is residual gas from the well being used to power different systems on the rig. The other situation is poisonous gas (H2S) being vented and ignited.