[BITList] Al Jazeera English - Americas - Pipe plan to tackle USoil spill

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri May 14 15:41:25 BST 2010

Mike,

A nice summary, short on asinine guesswork.   I read - "One of the main
questions is why BP or Transocean decided to proceed with final operations
to seal the well despite a test that apparently indicated highly combustible
gas could still be leaking out."  I seem to recollect gas from the
processing of the mud is often present, and is ignited at the top of the
derrick - we've all seen the flares on TV.  I've no idea if gas encountered
otherwise, eg, the apparent stuff mentioned by Al Jazeera, is dealt with in
that way routinely - I'd guess not, given the uncertainty of the supply
conditions.  Could be the problem stemmed from that area.  What do they do
when they're drilling for gas?