[BITList] Fwd: [INDIA-BRITISH-RAJ] Logan and a sculpture

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sat May 8 15:06:47 BST 2010

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Chekkutty N.P" <chekkutty at gmail.com>
Date: 8 May 2010 12:48:04 AM AEST
To: india-british-raj at rootsweb.com
Subject: [INDIA-BRITISH-RAJ] Logan and a sculpture

These are the times of decolonization. Old names and memories with a
colonial connection being wiped off and new  ones replacing them, like
Bombay converting itself into Mumbai, Calcutta metamorphosing into Kolkata
and Madras becoming Chennai.

I have seen this happening even in our own city of Calicut, which used to be
part of the empire. The old huzur kutcheri has been razed down and the
Robinson Road is now the Kesava Menon Road...

But many things remain the same: The 150-year-old canal, built by H V
Connolly, the Irish collector who was hacked to death by the rebellious
Moplahs, is still known by his name and -- though slightly smelly -- it
remains the artery of the sprawling city. The best motorway in the city
today goes parallel to the old Connolly's Canal.

But Logan had nothing to keep his memory in this city where he spent quite a
few years as perhaps the best known collector of Malabar. There is a road in
Thalassery, the town up north, where he had served, carrying his name but
William Logan's presence was not visble anywhere in Calicut.

Thankfully, not any longer. Last week, the city's Communist mayor unveiled a
sculpture in the city's centre, depicting this scholar-adminstrator's best
known work, the Malabar Manuel. It is a beautiful work of art, a  befitting
tribute to the old Scottish highlander who made Malabar his home.

I know there is a big clan of Logans spread all over the world and possibly
there may be some with Logan links in this list also. May I know anything
more about Logan's personal life, his roots, famly and upbringing?

N P Chekkutty/Calicut, Malabar.