[BITList] Greek Wealth Is Everywhere but Tax Forms - NYTimes.com

CT's x50type at cox.net
Sun May 2 15:25:53 BST 2010

tks, mike - good one.

Experts point out that ducking taxes is part of a broader culture of bribery and corruption that is deeply entrenched.

and that is part of the problem. when I lived and worked in greece, we brits were the ONLY ones and only company in our large office building who paid company and income taxes, everyone else had "head offices" outside greece and most claimed they were citizens of other countries with passsports from other countries.
they were just following the pattern set by the likes of niarchos and onasis - they were very clever, their head offices were in monte carlo and I would not be surprised to know they claimed to be monagasque. I think they also started the trend for each ship to be owned by a different company [limits liability and tax]. the head office signed everything "as Agent only".
in fact there is/was a class of ship owner known as "london greeks" - mavrolean, kulukundis, luludis, mavrodakis, goulandris, livanos, etc.; when in UK they claimed they were greeks, main office in greece - no taxes. when they were in greece they claimed they had UK passports and the head office was in london - no taxes.
greeks just refuse to pay taxes.

colin taylor