[BITList] Hands on

David Harvey dhbison at gmail.com
Sun May 2 10:44:52 BST 2010

Boy Oh Boy, I couldn't agree more Hugh. The number of "engineers' out there,
many in TV land, who wouldn't know what an oily rag is, let alone a hammer,
is mindblowing and my nose turns up in a sneer whenever I see them. (and I'm
a deckie). Best of the lot is the social engineer, and they do exist.

Just spent the day (beautiful sunny calm day on the river) at the local sea
scout competition doing examinations of the lads on seamanship and
chartwork. Others were doing boat work, including man overboard procedures,
in real boats. I was impressed with their knowledge, so was another
examiner, a lady Master Mariner, pilot and part time examiner. She reckoned
the 12 year olds knew more than the candidates for Master IV.

Free lunch thrown in.

Dave