[BITList] BP rig oil spill

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat May 1 20:14:57 BST 2010

The BOP either worked or didn't work.  As a last resort, the BOP will shear through the drill string, etc, and become a sealed unit sitting on the blowout. That's its function, and the problem of reconnection is considered the lesser of two evils.  I was never involved in the post-drilling stage, so I cannot say what role, if any, the BOP plays in that.  In Mike's e-mail, the NYT quote someone as saying the BOP "kicked in", and Colin's has experts " focusing on a stack of heavy equipment below the surface of the gulf that is supposed to seal a well quickly in the event of a burst of energy."  And as Dave pointed out, information appearing is contradictory. Time will tell.