[BITList] Death versus Football

Ronald Thomas thomas.ronald at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jun 29 22:33:18 BST 2010

This epistle will no doubt be somewhat conteversial to some, if not all our old seafaring community.Nevertheless, I just cannot get my mind around the fact that,today, 7 of our brave young military have returned to Wooton Bassett, draped in what remains of the uniform, of this country, that they served undeniably with pride and courage, dedication and loyalty.
.
I compare this with the English Football team, who also wore the uniform of our country on the International stage, and although earning fortunes that most,if not,all us can possibly envisage, were humiliated in the art,so called, of kicking a ball around the park.No risk of life entailed.
I was never sufficiently gifted in my youth at any particular sport, but had I been, and picked to wear the vest of my country then I would have died with endeavour than behave as these chaps did. Remember Para 1.

My children say to me ,"Dad times have changed, get with it " As an "oldie" born before Hitler was awarded the Chancellorship,I find this hard to accept.           Ron