[BITList] the daisy thing

CT's x50type at cox.net
Thu Jun 17 14:00:31 BST 2010

hugh

I am living in the region of about 150 miles from ground zero of the disaster. probably the worst affected area at the moment is Plaquemine parish, the president of the parish [billy nungesser] is frequently on the telly and his office is about 5 miles from my house. so it may be fair to say that this area is not far from the "heat affected zone".
however, I still have not heard, seen or read a word against Britain or the British - apart from a repost from the mayor of new orleans to a remark by the mayor of London concerning BP's willingness or otherwise to pay a quarterly dividend to share holders in UK.
I can't imagine why anti British sentiment is prevalent in Arizona which is about a 5 day drive from here!
as I mentioned before - there were no British subjects in the rig, the BP supervisory staff or Halliburton. I doubt if there are more than a hand full, at the most, of britishers in the BP head office in Houston.
it was completely an American show - in fact the name british petroleum has not been used in the USA for some years. their consultants and experts decided "beyond petroleum" had a better ring to it for the US market.
they also changed their logo from the imperious BP shield to a stupid green kind of daisy thing! I don't know if they did that only here or it was world wide.
rig people I know always said they hated to be contracted to BP; safety was pushed forward all the time by BP - until they were delayed and the drilling schedule [and therefore the cost] was affected - then safety and everything else went overboard in a rush to play catch-up!
apparently other producers big and small [and apart from the big 5 there was elf, agip, and canadian companies that I recall] did not fuck the drilling contractors about like BP did.
apart from the fool from n carolina, no one has come up with a conspiracy theory - although I am sure many have/will try.
incidentally, I fell out with an acquaintance of mine after Katrina who was convinced by conspiracy theorists that  "the government" blew up and breached the river levee, and flooded mainly black folks homes - to get rid of blacks!

colin