[BITList] Indian Officialese

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sun Jun 13 14:01:27 BST 2010

Begin forwarded message:

My grandfather was the accountant-general railways and amongst his staff he had an aged senior clerk. One day this clerk approached my grandfather and requested an increase in pay. He explained that he had been with the Government of India for so many years that he had reached the top of his pay scale some years ago. He asked if the G.of I. could not see their way to creating some form of 'shadow scale' so that, "In my old age I may enjoy some further emoluments". Very correct. My G'father , being a jocular sort of a man suggested jokingly to the clerk that if the G.of I. realised the sumptuous salary the clerk was currently drawing they may ask him to accept a decrease rather than an increase! The clerk took the matter quite seriously. He looked at my G'father in a hurt manner and said - wait for it! - "Sir, what is this? I come to you for increment and you offer me excrement!"..........True story.......Billlllll........!