[BITList] The fire and fury of the shipyard - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 27 19:29:29 BST 2010

John,

Stanley Spencer's Clydeside paintings were made in the shipyards here in Port Glasgow, where he was a kenspeckle figure.  He lodged with the Whitefords - their son, the late Roy, taught me trumpet.  I know a chap who has a pencil drawing of himself, made by Spencer, if he could only recall where he put it.  Our younger daughter did a reconstruction of Spencer's Resurrection series for her 6th year Art studies.  The series was inspired by Port Glasgow Cemetery, which is not a terribly inspiring place to the inhabitants of the town.  Spencer, being a gifted artist, saw something in its situation running uphill from the river.

As a gateboy in Lithgow's East Yard in 1949 I watched the platers many a time pulling the frame bars out of the furnace and bending them, and there was a fair amount of fire and fury.  The pipe bending was not a place of fire and fury - the bend areas were the only bits heated.