[BITList] Radios not at sea

CT's x50type at cox.net
Thu Jul 22 14:47:44 BST 2010

thanks for the clarification, hugh

me -  mushroomed again!

In the pre-resistor days, I remember I had a Pye radio, this was a portable one, covered in leather with a shoulder trap. it had one or two valves and was powered by a rather large and heavy, square, ?? volt, non-rechargeable, dry battery.
I bought a new battery and was driving along with my girl friend, jennifer [who was of palinesque stupidity, but performed well] and asked her to take the old battery out and put the new one in. she was fiddling about with the new battery- trying to rip off the cardboard casing and partly exposed the inner workings.. when I asked her [nicely] what she was doing, she said she was taking the wrapping off!
I had to explain to her that there was no wrapping and that she was just about to have the battery innards on her lap[remember the shiny black hard tar stuff at the top and the grey stuff inside with the carbon rods and spring brass connections?].
how strange to get radio moscow on a grundig recorder!.
You may recall the very large grundig, philipps and telefunken cabin radios we had [eastern service]? a coupe of year ago I fancied one for the house. I searched ebay for some time but couldn't find one suitable. I did find that grundig makes a clone of the old one, but it is transistorised now [see photo] - so I got one of those.

ct