[BITList] BP oil spill: failed safety device on Deepwater Horizonrig was modified in China | Environment | The Observer

CT's x50type at cox.net
Sun Jul 18 16:12:49 BST 2010

"It is understood that lawyers for Cameron International, the manufacturer of the BOP, will argue the device was so significantly modified in China that it no longer resembled the original component, and that Cameron should therefore not be held liable."

I have a couple of comments......

it is hard for me to believe cameron was not aware or consulted about work to be done on the bop in china. the bop appears to be a specialized piece of equipment and unlikely to be modified by anyone other than the manufacturer.

cameron the bop maker is located in houston. depending where the rig was working, I again find it hard to believe it was more economical to send it to china!

cameron's web site does not mention that their beijing location repairs/modifies bop's. [see below].

      COMPRESSION SYSTEMS
      TOWER A, ROOM 1701, CHENGJIAN DASHA,
      NO. 18 BEITAIPINGZHUANG, HAIDIAN DISTRICT,
      BEIJING, 100088
      CHINA
       Phone-1: 86.10.8225.5700

      Location Overview: Centrifugal and reciprocating compressor customer service and technical support.