[BITList] birds of a feather

CT's x50type at cox.net
Wed Jul 14 14:37:00 BST 2010

well, what a surprise..................................!

[did you know each doctor is allowed about 12 deaths before an eye brow is raised - but nothing is done.
20 deaths warrants an enquiry]

ct

Many Doctors Don't Report Incompetent Colleagues
Survey Shows One-Third Don't Blow Whistle on Peers Who Are Impaired or Incompetent
By Kathleen Doheny
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD
July 13, 2010 -- One-third of doctors who knew of peers who were incompetent or impaired, such as from alcohol or drug use, said they did not turn them in, according to a new survey.

''I was expecting the number who said they reported to be higher," says researcher Catherine M. DesRoches, DrPH, assistant professor of medicine at the Mongan Institute for Health Policy at Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston.

She and her colleagues evaluated responses from 1,891 doctors in a variety of specialties. "We had 17% of physicians who had direct knowledge of a colleague in their practice or hospital whom they believed was impaired or incompetent. About two-thirds of those did report that physician, but we still had about a third that did not report."

More than one-third did not completely agree that doctors should report all instances of impaired or incompetent physicians, they also found.

While some may argue that the majority do turn in incompetent or impaired doctors, DesRoches says the percent must be higher. "If you are the patient, you would want all the impaired or incompetent physicians to be reported."

The study results are in The Journal of the American Medical Association.