[BITList] the 2 pipe mystery

CT's x50type at cox.net
Mon Jul 12 14:07:32 BST 2010

yo frank

somehow I don't go with that possibility. would joints breaking remain fairly straight and and fall down when the riser bent - or bend with the riser, stick in the bent riser and not fall?
do you think it is possible to drill with one broken drill pipe still stuck in the hole?

Some experts say a second piece of drill pipe in the riser could have prevented shear rams on the rig's blowout preventer from sealing the well and permanently cutting off the flow of oil after the April 20 explosion. The presence of two pipes could have also contributed to BP's failure to make a clean cut on the riser when securing the existing containment dome, inhibiting its ability to collect the maximum amount of oil.

this makes sense to me but is it even possible to have to 2 drill pipes in the BOP together?

enquiring minds want to know.

colin t