[BITList] Fw: Rednecks

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 25 10:25:26 GMT 2010

David,

Having seen your evidence, I am now convinced the Royle Family (BBC TV) are the Rednecks of the UK, along with the sainted Rab C. Nesbitt, family and friends (also BBC TV).  Rab has given up the drink, but he is otherwise not much changed.  The other day I was giving a friend of my wife's a rundown on the Christmas Special of the Royle Family.  Janet was there beside me, so no hanky panky.  The lady listened without comment to me relating their drive to the Welsh holiday camp in a car with a door not matching - satnav lady talking away in kilometres - driver's wife concerned lest hubby is getting too familiar with satnav lady - serious discussion about whether it would have been a shorter run when distances were in miles.  No TV reception in caravan except when someone stands on a chair with head through the skylight and aerial on top of head.  And no chip pan in the caravan - this causes total gloom - no bloody chip pan.  After a while the lady I was talking to (she was nodding her head while I spoke) said, "And all that was in Buckingham Palace?"  I said, "No, it was the Royle Family."  "The Royal Family? I know," she said, "Do they use a chip pan?"  Janet got me out of it.  Life really does imitate art.