[BITList] We're all becoming Yanks

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 16 20:32:33 GMT 2010

Recently I got involved in a discussion about domestic central heating boilers (life is dull at the moment).  Checking the British Gas website I see a section headed "Regular Boilers", and I am curious to know what in the name these can be - I didn't come across such an item at sea or before or after. So I look, and I am amazed.  It says : Regular boilers are a type of condensing boiler, you may find regular boilers are also referred to as "traditional" or "conventional" boilers.

When did standard English cease to be the norm?  Why must we now tell teenagers in shops that we don't want regular fries - we want a bag of chips?