[BITList] more dara

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 5 16:05:32 GMT 2010

Colin,

A few years back, there was an extensive discussion about the Dara sinking on BIShip, but I can't see it among the various compilations in my archive.  I have one on MN explosions, but Dara doesn't figure.  Jack Edgar must have joined BI about the same time as I did, for he was a new fiver on Uganda when Sandy Souter, Norman Winder and I were staff on her, awaiting our fate elsewhere - we also were brand new.  When Chakdara arrived, Jack took over from me on daywork, and Sandy, Norman and I joined Chakdara.  Three new panchers all at once, no doubt adding another notch to Ernie Elrick's ulcer.  But when his ulcer wasn't bothering him, there was nobody nicer than Ernie.  I had a beer or two aboard Dara in Bombay - that would be late 1957 or early 1958.  I didn't see anything of Jack, but there was an Indian E/O - I think he was 4th - who gave Fats Waller impressions at the writing desk.  Or was it Jimmy Durante? And there was a Siamese cat who lay on the tops of doors.