[BITList] dara

FS franka at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 5 09:10:54 GMT 2010

CT
These are the names of the people on board when she caught fire I'm not
sure but I seem to remember the C/E changed between my sailings

The Officers on board the 'Dara' were Captain Charles Elson, Chief
Officer PE Jordan, Second Officer CW Alexander, Third Officer PCS
Jackson, Ist Radio officer AD Sinclair, 2nd Radio Officer W McGrath,
Chief Engineer GK Cruikshank, 2nd Engineer RK Birrel, 3rd Engineer J
Edgar, 4th Engineer DM McLeod, Junior Engineers P Durham, NHM Ali, and D
Bhattacharjee, Cadets IG Tew and JJ Grimwood.

Ramsey was second and as I was supernumerary he put me on watch with the
fourth and moved I think one of the fivers up to take a watch this way
he went on to day work, I think but couldn't be sure that the 4th I was
on with was called Sandy
I know coming down the Gulf just as we were about to enter Kararchi I
had to go up and change the settling tanks over, on going back down on
the plates a little later we noticed that the revs were dropping off I
realised that I must have collapsed the valve rushed back up and put the
old tank back on but it was too late next thing of course the engine
room is full of people rushing around bleeding every thing during this
of course it was assumed that I was looking after the P&J temperatures
which I was not being more concerned with keeping out of everyone's way
so when we were ready to go the engine was to cold and another delay
while it warmed up during which the old man phoned down to ask how much
longer we were going to be as we were drifting over onto the rocks at
the entrance. The chief answered the phone and the language was pretty
colourful to put it mildly
Does any of this jog your memory?
frank